How to Sign Up for the DAT
How to Sign up for the Dental Admissions Test
- 1. First, read the DAT Guide and familiarize yourself with DAT procedures, ethical conduct, criteria one must meet to be eligible, etc. The ADA states that “During the application process you will be asked to confirm that you have read the Guide and agree to the rules and regulations contained within the document. Examinees are responsible for understanding the information contained within the Guide. Examinees that violate test rules or regulations may have their test scores voided and have to wait up to two years to retest”, so make sure you don’t overlook this step!
- 2. After you are familiar with the DAT guide, you must than obtain a DENTPIN number (this number is unique to each applicant and student involved in the U.S. dental school system and standardized testing programs). Apply for one HERE. You should get a confirmation email from “dentpin” titled “DENTPIN Registration Successful”.
- 3. Once you obtain your DENTPIN, apply to take the DAT with your DENTPIN and the password you chose to associate with your DENTPIN.
- 4. Apply to take the DAT HERE.The application fee is $385 as of June 2014. Applications are processed every Tuesday, so it can take about a week to process.
- 5. During the application, you get to choose what schools you want to send your DAT to. I chose every U.S. school because they charge the same $385, regardless of how many schools you send your scores to, so might as well send them to all of them rather than sending them to only 1, PAYING extra money for them to send your scores to additional schools after the application.
Make sure you apply with the EXACT name that your government issued ID (driver’s license or passport) has, because for test day you must bring two matching IDs, one government issued and another ID with your signature on it (Like a credit or debit card).Prometric is very strict about what counts as a matching name:
Matching names: Joseph Anthony Smith and Joseph Anthony Smith or Joseph Anthony Smith and Joseph A. Smith
Non-matching names: J. Anthony Smith and Joseph A. Smith or Joseph Anthony Smith and Joseph Anthony Smith-Johnson
You will be notified via email when your DAT application is accepted. You are eligible to take the DAT ONCE from the day your application was accepted up to exactly one year after your application was accepted. So say your application was accepted May 18, 2011. You can theoretically take the DAT once anytime between May 19, 2011 and May 18, 2012. However, the email will specify that you WAIT 24 hours before scheduling a test date with Prometric. Now that your application has been accepted, Click HERE to go to Prometric’s website and schedule a date to take the DAT at your local Prometric testing center. You need your DENTPIN to schedule a test date, so keep it handy. Also, the availability of times and dates for you to take your test will very based on your testing center. Some larger one’s may have openings on almost any day with a couple of times making it convenient for you. However, smaller sites will probably be booked for weeks. Regardless, apply EARLY to get the date and time you want! You are now ready to ace your DAT and be a competitive applicant for Dental School! Good luck